History of St Chad’s with St Mary’s, Shrewsbury
The Fall and Rise of St Chad’s
Since early medieval times there has been a church in Shrewsbury dedicated to St Chad, first Bishop of Mercia in the 7th century. By the end of the 18th century the large but ageing building (see photo to left below) had fallen into disrepair, and cracks had appeared in the tower. The great engineer, Thomas Telford, advised that it was in danger of collapse, and he was right. One morning in 1788 the parishioners awoke to find they had a pile of rubble but no church. The centre photo below shows all that remains today of “Old” St Chad’s.
After much argument a new site was found on the derelict town wall, and the Scottish architect George Steuart, who had designed nearby Attingham Park and a church in Wellington, was commissioned. He submitted various designs, and although the Parochial Church Council preferred a rectangular one, ‘due to a misunderstanding’ he actually completed a circular plan that had been considered but rejected. Time was short, however, and it became the final design. Stones from old St Chad’s were used as foundations and the foundation stone was laid on St Chad’s Day, 2 March 1790.
The new church was opened on 19th August 1792 (see photo to right above). Its design differs from typical Georgian buildings, and mixes Ionic, Doric and Corinthian styles in its facade and interior. The central hall, with a sweeping double staircase to the gallery, is more like a country house than a church, as is the decoration on the ceiling of the nave. Yet the church is a child of its time, for the delicate banisters and the slender pillars supporting the gallery are early products of the Industrial Revolution then beginning in Shropshire.
On November 15th 1809 Charles Darwin was baptised in St Chad’s Church.
The circular nave is unique, with pews arranged like a maze. The original ‘three-decker’ pulpit has been replaced by one in Arts and Crafts style in copper and brass, placed under the rim of the gallery. This opens a clearer view of the Sanctuary, which, bordered by Corinthian pilasters and columns, contains a fine reredos and a colourful window, made by the renowned Shrewsbury firm of Betton and Evans.
On the right hand side of the main entrance to the church is St Aidan’s Chapel. After the Second World War it was made into a memorial chapel for the local regiment: the King’s Shropshire Light Infantry. Here the colours of the 1st and 4th battalions of the KSLI are laid up and displayed. Please refer to our Serving the local community page for information on current links.
You may notice that the full title of the church: “St Chad’s with St Mary’s” is sometimes used. When St Mary’s was made redundant in 1987, the Churches Conservation Trust took on responsibility for the care and preservation of its building. It is the vicar of St.Chad’s who has spiritual over-sight of St Mary’s