St Aidan’s Chapel
After the Second World War it was made into a memorial chapel for the local regiment: the King’s Shropshire Light Infantry. Here the colours of the 1st and 4th battalions of the KSLI are laid up and displayed.
The 4th Battalion was presented by the French government with the ‘Croix de Guerre avec palmes’ for their outstanding bravery at the Battle of Bligny on 6 June 1918. Almost a century later ‘Bligny Day’ is celebrated at St Chad’s by a special service every June.
The KSLI are now part of The Rifles and the Shropshire Regimental Museum has collections covering the history of the regiments from the 18th century to the present day.